Our History

Summary statement

St. Joseph Parish in Springfield, Missouri, was founded in 1892 “for the faithful of German origin and nationality living in Springfield and North Springfield and their suburbs.” So read the decree of Bishop John J. Hogan of Kansas City as he placed the parish in the care of the Benedictine monks of Conception Abbey. A donation of a house and lot from Mr. Charles Heer provided the first site for a church and school.

The school opened in 1893 and has remained open until the present time, first staffed by the Sisters of Mercy from St. John Hospital and then by lay teachers.

The parish outgrew its original buildings located at Chestnut and Jefferson Streets and the church and school were moved to its present location at Campbell and Scott Streets. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on June 4, 1905. The parishioners did much of the work in constructing the present church which was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1906.

A new school building was opened in 1908 and served until 1950 when it was replaced by a modern school structure, which was expanded in 1955.

Want to be part of our future?

Schedule a tour today to see St. Joseph Catholic Academy for yourself.